Monday, February 20, 2006

Baby Showers and Playing Hooky

Well, I am not really playing hooky. Today is President's Day and the U is officially on holiday. Plus the shuttle buses don't run. Plus I have a lot of joint pain and thought it would be best for baby and me if I rested at home today. I have another 5 weeks to go until the official due date and don't want to spend them on bed rest. I met up with some of the other women from our childbirth class on Saturday and walked around Green Lake again, but ended up in more pain than I started the day with. The doc said it is just one of those pregnancy things and I should stay comfortable (which means limiting my walking), drink fluids to keep the baby floating higher, take a warm bath (which I would love to do, but they regrouted and caulked our tub this weekend), and try a maternity support belt. The maternity store is open today so I will be going there this afternoon to see if that helps at all. Plus I needed to pick up some camisole nursing tops for after the baby comes.

We had a baby shower given for us last Saturday night at my boss's house. It was really nice of the lab to plan the shower for me and we had a good time. It was a potluck dinner, which meant we were treated to Mika's sushi rice (everything but the fish) and Carmen's carrot cake (sooooo delicious!) I have just a few pictures from it, but I need to get them off the lab server to post them correctly.

We spent this weekend trying to finish off the nursery. We put together the stroller and the bouncer and actually put a sheet on the crib. I took down all of the office pictures and hung up a few baby pictures. With today off I am also finally painting my watercolours...they don't look too bad so far, but I don't think anyone will be beating a path to my door to commission their own set. Dan had a brilliant idea with the cat training as well. Since our cat is only so smart, he put the baby gate we purchased for the bathroom in the door to the nursery. This has stumped the cat. She just cannot figure out that she can jump over the gate and get into the room. She has discovered that she can jump onto the chair next to the doorway and gaze into the room, but still hasn't figured out how to jump over the gate. And this is the same cat that this morning jumped from the window to the TV to the top of our 8 ft. bookcase. I don't get it. We filled the bassinet with the rest of the balloons and she is staying well away from it. Next weekend will be the great car seat installation, with the inspection to follow in a few more weeks. I promise to post some pictures of the nursery before the end of the day. Really.


No comments: